Living in Texas, deodorant is VERY important. As a photographer I am always outside in the Texas humidity and heat and stinking up a storm is never good for business! When I started on my wellness journey changing my deodorant was one of the things I was most hesitant about. Little did I realize that sweat and odors are part of the body’s natural detoxifying process. And using an antiperspirant and deodorant actually blocked that process. So in layman terms: detox is good. Not to mention antiperspirants and deodorants are loaded with toxic chemicals. Read more in Stinky pits got you down?.
I did lots of research and experimented with tons of different organic brands. Some of them were okay but not just quite right. Not to mention, that even though they were marked organic and natural they still had some iffy ingredients. I decided to make my own. How hard could it be right? After lots of trial and error, I finally came up with a recipe that I loved.
DIY Natural Deodorant Solid Recipe
- 7 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 3 Tbsp Unrefined Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Aluminum Free Baking Soda (if you are sensitive to baking soda, omit and use an extra tbsp of bentonite clay)
- 1 Tbsp Bentonite Clay
- 10 drops of the essential oil of your choice (I use Purification essential oil blend because it neutralizes odors)
About the Ingredients
- Arrowroot powder is made from the roots of the arrowroot plant, which is native to South America. It helps to keep skin dry and wick away moisture.
- Shea butter is derived from the nuts of the shea tree, grown in Africa. It’s incredibly moisturizing and can help to protect skin from dryness.
- Coconut oil helps this deodorant to glide on easily.
- Baking soda helps to absorb moisture and odors naturally.
- Bentonite clay helps to absorb moisture from your underarms and eliminate body odor without causing irritation.
- In a double boiler, add coconut oil and shea butter. Bring to a boil on low heat and stir until both ingredients are in liquid form.
- Remove from heat, then add baking soda, bentonite clay, arrowroot powder, and essential oils. Mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture into a 2 oz. glass container, and keep out of sunlight.
- Put glass container in the refrigerator and let cool down to solidify for about 2-3 hours.
- Apply a pea size amount to both underarms for all day protection.